Sit-down with
Jennifer Piwonski, marketing representative, Genisys Credit Union
I will preface this post by saying that Jen is my fiancé.
She works at Genisys Credit Union’s corporate headquarters in Auburn Hills,
Mich. as a marketing representative. Since I’ve never worked on the corporate
side of the communications and marketing industry, I thought that this would be
a good opportunity to learn more about her company by asking questions that I
never would have otherwise.
Although Jen was quick to note that each department is
fairly autonomous and does accept input from employees, the company certainly
adheres to a functional form. Departments are broken up to perform specialized
tasks and decisions are funneled from the CEO and vice presidents to managers;
then to the rest of the staff (Note on
Organization Structure). The company does, however, welcome and encourage
ideas from all team members, making management more involved by giving it the
opportunity to cultivate and improve upon these ideas by collaborating with the
subordinates that submitted them (Managing
in an Information Age).
The complete opposite of my firm’s approach, which tends to
develop “jacks of all trades” across accounts, Genisys differentiates
departments based on the specialized tasks that they perform. Employees within
those departments are then developed into experts in very specific areas, such
as data marketing and social media, creating highly knowledgeable employees
that specialize in job functions that are organization critical (Note on Organization Structure). I
suppose the downside to this strategy is that if an employee in one of these
highly specialized positions decides to leave suddenly, there is nobody left to
pick up where they left off.
When new projects like the current Genisys Credit Union iPhone
app redesign begin, the company assembles cross-functional teams, led by a
project manager, to gather specialists from multiple departments (in this case,
marketing, IT, sales and services, and electronics) to complete them. Despite
our readings this week stating that dual managers can create confusion and disarray,
Jen said that she has never seen this happen in her five years with the
company. She told me that Genisys makes it a priority to engrain company values
and mission within its employee base, leading to great cooperation and
commitment to achieving company goals and ultimately, pleasing members. Although
project managers technically outrank functional managers, conflict rarely
arises due to a great mutual understanding and “team-first” attitude (Note on Organization Structure).
Outside of specialized project teams, the company follows a
pattern of reciprocal integration. Since most projects and tasks, like
launching new branches, website redesigns and market research to name a few,
require ongoing changes and feedback and collaboration between departments,
information flows back and forth freely via frequent meetings and electronic
communication (Note on Organization
Design).
I learned a lot through by reading this week’s materials and
lots of the ideas were materialized and solidified after interviewing Jen. I think
for me, the most significant piece of information that I got from this sit-down
was her example of how participative management, strong corporate values and
hiring/developing employees who buy into the company’s mission 100 percent can
diffuse potential conflict before it arises (this is in reference to the
segment on dual management of cross-functional team members).
References
Applegate, L. (1995). Managing in an informational age: Organizational
challenges and opportunities. CMGT
500 course pack.
Note on Organization
Design. CMGT 500 course pack.
Note on Organization
Structure. CMGT 500 course pack.
Brian, it sounds like Jennifer's company may have a matrix structure. You explain that Genisys has a functional structure, but you also mention that there are project teams based on outputs (iPhone app), which would be divisional in nature. What do you think? Besides dual authority, what are some other potential weaknesses of this type of structure? Strengths?
ReplyDeleteDr. Pade,
DeleteGenisys DOES have a matrix structure! Admittedly, I made a mistake in my evaluation because I thought that if the project teams were not permanent and disbanded upon completion of the project, that it was not a matrix. I just went back and read the (matrix structure) section in "Note on Organizational Structure" and see where I was wrong. Resources, including staff, money and tech capabilities are easily shifted around the company to accomplish projects and Genisys employees definitely spend a lot of time in meetings, allowing its team, including management, to work as a cohesive unit.
I think that flexibility and adaptability are definitely this structure's strengths. On the other hand, I think that the fact that the system places so much stock in employees who are willing to cooperate within it could be a potential weakness. If for some reason, managers that don't put the company's mission first are appointed, everything could fall apart without adequate conflict resolution skills and a team-first attitudes.
It's good to see in par 3 that the "pursuit of mastery" is being embraced. I've noticed that in the corporate world there is a terror of creating specialists who cannot easily be replaced. But then, "mastery" can be created by pulling together cross-functional teams, as the company did here, and creating "mastery bundles."
ReplyDeleteAs a marketing rep, to what degree does she have to link horizontally with the various products offered by the company? Does she have to market them all, or is she responsible for just one or two?
Interesting thought. To be honest, I never understood why companies would place so much stock in a select few people that could bring it to its knees if they suddenly quit or were terminated. Jen works on the data side of the marketing field, crunching numbers, tracking and designing campaigns, etc. and is literally the only person in her department that knows how to do what she does (outside of management). She is extremely happy there and has no intentions of leaving, but if she did, either the department manager or marketing VP would have to step in until a replacement was found, which would seemingly hinder management activities, the department's progress and ultimately, the company's progress.
DeleteI suppose that if a task force was properly trained to take over during situations like this, it would be a nice contingency plan, but at Genisys, other than management, nobody knows how to do her job and the plan is flawed.
Since she works with marketing data, she handles multiple projects at once:
Monthly research - services for household, member retention, etc.
Campaign tracking
Debit campaign launch
Pre-screened auto campaign launch
She also helps out with social media and direct mail initiatives so it's a mixed bag of responsibilities.
Hi Brian,
ReplyDeleteYou write "The downside to this strategy is that if an employee in one of these highly specialized positions decides to leave suddenly, there is nobody left to pick up where they left off," and I would agree with you. My company does that too and we have highly specialized individuals -- I mean one woman has devoted her career to perfusion pumps (they are the devices that pump medicine into you if you are in a hospital) and if she leaves, there goes our expert. Whenever I speak to her though, I wonder, hasn't she pigeon-holed herself into a very narrow career though? What if she is let go? It seems the Gore model is prepared for that situation and its employees, given the opportunity to work on such variety, are probably well versed in a multitude of things.
I wonder though if there aren't other specialists in the businesses (that you all speak of) and if the one person seen as THE expert left, other stars might shine. Could it be that a byproduct of these cross functional teams is people learning a bit about a number of things as part of a project team and with the departure of an expert, they would have the opportunity to take on that role.
ReplyDelete