Monday, June 4, 2012

Week03 App Interview@Thermo

3 comments:

  1. Just heard from them! This is better, in the bottom corner click the full-size presentation and then you will have to select view in PP to hear the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nik, after listening to "the bad" and "the ugly" slides, I was surprised to hear you say that this structure is a good fit to the organization. You said that perhaps the company should integrate some aspects of other structures to alleviate the issues. You mention the lattice structure, but what about a hybrid or matrix? Could facets of these structures help? Daft (2007) also describes different types of horizontal information linkages. Which, if any, do you think this organization should implement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that a big portion of the bad and ugly slides are organizational culture issues more than structure issues. I do think that a divisional structure could work if the company goals were more integrated. It's my understanding that the hybrid structure is more or less what I was suggesting by integrating features of others into the divisional structure-sorry if I missed the buzz-word :) As for the matrix structure I think that a lot of it could be blended with the divisional structure they have once they get past competing with each other, but I fear at 39k employees TF may be to large of an organization for this structure. To be honest what we have read in this class constitutes most my knowledge in organizational structure outside of some references to it in org behavior literature I have studied so my recommendations are weak at best. At first blush I would stick with the divisional structure, work on some of the cultural issues (and I understand that they are likely a result of the structure) then develop a more sustainable structure for TF.

    ReplyDelete