Sunday, June 17, 2012

Nik Gurney Week 5


In researching for my 540 intro paper I came across an interesting article that addresses the sincerity-hypocrisy spectrum in CSR communication. Fassin and Buelens (2012) argue that there is a short circuit between the rhetoric surrounding CSR and its actual implementation. This establishes the need for a rating system to evaluate an organization’s actual performance in CSR versus the rhetoric surrounding it. They review the current state of CSR communication, give examples of rhetoric and outline a rating system to better evaluate the actual worth of an organization’s CSR activities. One example of CSR gone wrong they share is Phillip Morris spending $108 million to promote charitable contributions of $60 million (Fassin & Buelens, 2012, pp.592-593).   As I read about ambiguous communication I could not help but think what role does it play in CSR rhetoric? I am inclined to believe that Phillip Morris took every action it could to hide the fact it was spending more promoting its good deeds than actually doing them (and being as ambiguous as possible.) For Phillip Morris this was likely the best strategic communication practice feasible, and yet I suspect that the vast majority of people would find it reprehensible.

In their closing argument, Bonini, Mendonca and Oppenheim assert the approach they have argued will allow businesses to, “…shape the social contract and identify ways of creating value from the opportunities and risks arising from sociopolitical issues” (2006, p.31). While reading this article I kept getting the impression that the authors are suggesting the most important reason for an organization to take part in sociopolitical issues is financial, and I can see how an organization like Phillip Morris would take this to its logical, albeit morally questionable, end. If financial benefits are the real reason to pursue sociopolitical involvement then, at least from a rational perspective, Phillip Morris’ actions are justifiable and perhaps we all need to change our moral compass settings. Phillip Morris was engaging in the sociopolitical dialogue then “creating value” as Bonini et al. stated. I stand to disagree with this argument though, and I think Eisenberg would agree. He comments, “…the effectiveness and the ethics of any particular communicative strategy are relative to the goals and values of the communicators in the situation” (1984, p.239). Phillip Morris’ actions reflect a negative view of the communication consumers. Now I suppose that if this was never discovered the only damage done (and it is probably the worst case scenario, but that is another discussion…) would be the consumers putting too much faith in Phillip Morris as a social actor. Of course Phillip Morris was found out and their credibility was damaged. As Argenti, Howell and Beck point out credibility is very important to an organization, and has been lost for much of corporate America (2005) not just Phillip Morris. This is why a scale similar to what Fassin and Buelens prescribe is so valuable (2012). Before an organization chose to implement communication strategies, especially ambiguous ones, it would be in its best interest to run the rhetoric through an analysis to see possible interpretations and where each one lies on the sincerity-hypocrisy scale.

I am not arguing against Goodall, Trethewey and McDonald’s third principle (2006) and looking for control of the message, but rather suggesting we be more cognitive of the messages we could possibly convey. Of course this becomes more natural as the relationship is developed, just like they assert in the fourth principle.

I am not going to say I am perfect either—far from it—but for whatever reason the idea of being purposefully ambiguous seems detrimental to any relationship from a long term perspective and I strive to avoid it. It is analogous the husband telling his rotund wife she looks beautiful (not fat) in the new dress. It is lip service at best. I personally believe in being transparent in your communication, and should a situation arise where ambiguous communication seems necessary then it is time to seriously consider your position, maybe even reevaluate why you’re in business.

References
Argenti, P., Howell, R., Beck, K. (2005) The Strategic Communication ImperativeMIT Sloan Management Review, 46 #3, pp. 83-89 (full article)
Bonini, S. M. J., Mendonca, L., and Oppenheim, J. (2006) When Social Issues Become StrategicThe McKinsey Quarterly, 2, pp. 19-31 (full article)
Fassin, Y., & Buelens, M. (2011). The hypocrisy-sincerity continuum in corporate communication and decision making: A model of corporate social responsibility and business ethics practices. Management Decision, 49(4), 586-600.
Goodall, B., Terthewey, A., and McDOnald, K. (2006) Strategic Ambiguity, Communication and Public Diplomacy in an Uncertain World: Principles and Practices,Consortium for Strategic Communication, pp. 1-14 (full article)
Eisenberg, E. (1984) Ambiguity As Strategy In Organizational CommunicationCommunication Monographs, 51, pp.227-242 (full article)

2 comments:

  1. Nik, I think your post brings up an important question: in light of this week's readings, do you think there is a difference between being purposefully ambiguous and attempting to deceive?

    You hit on some major points that we will covering during the week on CSR. As a preview (SPOILER ALERT), one central argument against CSR is that the social responsibility of business is to increase its profits. Also, that with CSR organizations play with money that isn't theirs (shareholders'). Because of this, CSR should add value to an organization. Phillip Morris wouldn't have made a charitable contribution if they didn't see it as a way to increase profits - but to accomplish this goal they needed some publicity. So, would we rather them not partake in charitable endeavors or make contributions and use it for publicity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my opinion (and I feel it is an opinion supported by substantial research) that all language is ambiguous. Being purposefully ambiguous, again my opinion,is cousin to deception. Although they are not necessarily the same in nature-one could be said to be malicious in intent as it is designed to infer a prevarication w/o stating it explicitly-they both serve the same purpose which is to unload the self (person or organization) with the burden of creating meaning onto the consumer of the message. In short they are both an attempt to skirt responsibility and as such not praiseworthy actions (that being said, I'm guilty as charged...)

    Before we can make an educated decision regarding CSR the general public must make a decision on the role of for-profit business in society. This argument is heavily colored by the light it is examined under. If as Nigel Barber, the evolutionary psychologist points out, sports can replace religion, then I believe enterprise can as well. If businesses and brands are to become the new religion (opium of society?) CSR takes on a different meaning than they are only profit producing machines. To use the organismic metaphor it depends on what organ within the system they are to play. And of course I will give a dose of my opinion:

    Value doesn't come out in the bottom line only. I do believe that businesses are more than profit churning machines. They are dynamic parts of civil society that represent the combined efforts of a lot of people-generally good people-and as such should reflect the goals and aspirations of the individual components. Corporations should be active socially, but if they need to use it to gain publicity then they should reconsider their market position.

    ReplyDelete