Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week 8 Post by Leslie - Interview with AT&T Product Manager

For this week's application assignment, I interviewed James King, a senior integration consultant and product manager at AT&T Communications, to learn about his experiences with informal networking at the telecom giant.



LW: Please tell us where you work and what you do. 

JK: I work for AT&T Communications (formerly BellSouth and South Central Bell). I’m on staff [LW: as opposed to a contracted employee] and work mostly on the wire line side of the business. I'm also an interface product manager in charge of acquiring costs and overseeing implementation of new features and functionality for select software applications.

LW: Social network theory introduces the concepts of knowledge seekers and knowledge sources. Do you find yourself in one of these roles more frequently than the other?

JK: In my particular job, my role is more that of knowledge source. Being on staff, your people reach out to you because you’re supposed to be the one that has the information before they do -- you are the point of contact.

But when I do reach out to other people, they’re usually my peers that know a particular part of the business. I keep going back to them because I find that their information is good. Sometimes you find people who aren't willing to tell you that they don’t know. You have to be able to say "I don’t know" if you don’t know.

LW: So a knowledge source is someone who has reliably good information. What else defines a knowledge source for you?

JK: You seek out information from somebody who’s willing to share it. Certain people in corporations do what you might call "keeping it close to their chest." If you call them one-on-one to seek information, it seems like they’re only giving you ¾ of what you're really asking for. It’s like they want to harbor some of it, as if they’re afraid that "if I give you too much information, then you’re going to end up doing my job."

LW: Social network theory predates today's perception of social networking as something that occurs on social media channels. But since AT&T is a key player in facilitating this type of social networking through its products and services, I'm curious: what tools are used internally to establish and maintain relationships? 

JK: We have web-based tools that we use to communicate. We have instant messaging, of course. We have something like a Facebook page called Tspace where you can put your personal and professional information on an internal website and invite other people to be within your network of information. You can put as much or as little information about yourself as you want to identify, but at the same time my corporation strongly recommends that you do this. From a public relations perspective I think they want to be able to say that we do this internally.

LW: Have these tools helped you forge new relationships in the firm?

JK:  Not really. It may be different for other people. We have another tool called Tstorm. It's supposed to get employees to share their ideas. In other words, you submit your idea and see how many people agree that it sounds like a great idea. Personally, I've never submitted anything myself. I've commented on one. I usually read other people's comments. Admittedly, when I read it, I'm thinking "this is probably meant for a younger generation than myself."

LW: Do you consider the knowledge you gain through informal networks to be superior or inferior to knowledge you attain through more formal structures?

JK: Neither. It's just different. Sometimes you find people are more willing to expand what they’re saying when you take it out of an official context into a more open context.

LW: How have organizational changes at AT&T impacted informal networks?

JK: Well, we've been downsizing our structure for the past 8-9 years. When we downsize, the higher levels in the company want us to believe they’re actually reducing work -- like they're taking certain work out of the business -- but it doesn’t work that way in the end. That work is going to go to someone else that already has a full plate of work.

So you’re finding that where you might have reached out to five people before, now you’re just reaching out more often to four people. Maybe one of them has taken on that other person's function, or maybe the work has been spread across all four. So networks get smaller but also denser. 

Networks also change as we sell off parts of the business. We just sold Yellow Pages a few months ago. You wonder, “am I really allowed to reach out to those people anymore?" because we sold off that business and it’s no longer part of the internal structure. You have to find a new source for that advice you were getting.



In our interview, Mr. King describes effective knowledge sources as those who not only possess good information but are willing to share it. According to Levin and Cross (2004), this tendency to be forthcoming has little to do with the natural disposition of a source. Rather, the development of "strong ties" (Levin & Cross, 2004, p. 1478) characterized by trust will increase a source's willingness to provide useful knowledge.

Cross, Borgatti, and Parker (2002) emphasize the importance of supporting informal collaboration among employees, and AT&T seems to have equipped its employees with a number of  technological tools built for this purpose. Tspace, for example, helps address the need for employees to be aware of one another's areas of expertise (Cross, Borgatti, & Parker, 2002). However, Mr. King raises an interesting point when he describes a generational divide between himself and the younger employees who readily embrace these social technologies. Perhaps AT&T should identify more organic ways to foster the development of informal relationships. Ibarra and Hunter (2004) cite the example of Nissan's cross-functional problem solving teams, while Cross, Borgatti, and Parker (2002) advocate "pointed interventions" (p. 39) to increase group integration.

Finally, Mr. King observes that a culture of downsizing and divestitures has impacted social networks at AT&T. What happens when key sources of knowledge or advice exit the defined boundaries (Hanneman & Riddle, 2005) of a social network? Ibarra and Hunter (2004) might suggest that these relationships could continue to provide value through integration into Mr. King's personal networks. But, as King acknowledges, it may be necessary to identify new knowledge sources within the organizational network to continue "getting work done efficiently" (Ibarra and Hunter, 2004, p. 5).

References

Cross, R., Borgatti, S. P., & Parker, A. (2002). Making invisible work visible: Using social network analysis to support strategic collaboration. California Management Review, 44(2), 25-46.

Hanneman, R., & Riddle, M. (2005) Introduction to social network methods. Riverside, CA: University of California, Riverside.

Ibarra, H., & Hunter, M. (2004). How leaders create and use networks. Harvard Business Review, pp. 1-11.

Levin, D. Z., & Cross, R. (2004). The strength of weak ties you can trust: The mediating role of trust in effective knowledge transfer. Management Science, 50(11), 1477-1490.

7 comments:

  1. This interview has lots of great insights. First, I found it interesting that some people within the network guard their information. I study this problem in my own research on transactive memory (which we will cover it next week). In order for a team or organization to function efficiently, each person needs to know who has the information (the expert) and that they can approach that person for information. One of my research teams is currently studying the different variables - such as affect, trust, conflict, power dynamics - that may cause people to avoid knowledge sharing and seeking.

    Second, as I commented on Nik's post, some researchers see weak ties as old, unmaintained strong ties. Do you think his contacts at Yellow Pages will turn into weak ties?

    Finally, it was great to hear about this organization's internal (or enterprise) social network. Many companies are adopting Facebook-type social networks or even internal microblogging software similar to Twitter. Do you think these types of technologies influence an organization's social network?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was at a 'garden party' last night and a an old node in my network approached me about my experience in this program. I began telling him about how great I think it is (I do) and went on to describe class participation, our cohort, and eventually the LMS. His comment was, "it's social media ad nauseum..." Which got me thinking, how much more social media can I handle? My Facebook activity has declined since starting this and my only other social media participation is quotes from my kindle direct to Twitter, which has also gone down as I am reading less on it. Did he hint at all that some employees may be fed up with social media? I am getting the impression that a renaissance of sorts is brewing and we may see people leaving social media in droves soon-then again maybe I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, good interview and interesting. Do you think because of AT&T's continuous downsizing it may be part of the reason there are trust issues when sharing knowledge? Also, it seems as though AT&T along with other corporations are developing these internal tools similar to Facebook to keep employees from using the outside social medias and/or to keep crucial information from being shared outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Pade,

    Sounds like an interesting area of research. Is your group? studying these different variables by manipulating them (i.e., experimenting) or through another methodology?

    I've occasionally observed the problem Mr. King describes, where certain people in an organization are unwilling to share knowledge. An even more insidious problem occurs when people are unwilling to seek information. These employees seem to think they have all the answers they need, or perhaps they are resistant to change. (Your study might reveal additional causes for this behavior.) A tenacious knowledge seeker may be able to find alternate knowledge sources when the desired source is not forthcoming. But what is the solution when people are not willing to seek out knowledge?

    Audrey,

    Last year, my company launched an enterprise social network on the Jive platform. I'm not sure it was intended to keep employees from using Facebook or other "outside social medias" or if it was just meant to facilitate networking outside of departmental and office boundaries. If control was the intention, it seems to have failed miserably: folks still Tweet and update Facebook as much as they ever did.

    Nik,

    I created a profile on my company's enterprise social network, but I soon felt the pressure you describe. I was being pulled in too many directions. It was too much. Then again, I've never been the most active person on social networks. I'd say I check in on my Facebook maybe a couple of times a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie - We mainly use surveys. You are right - a knowledge seeker should be able to go to the company's database or intranet to find the info they need, but of course they have to be willing to go find it.

      Delete
  5. I thought it was interesting that he said he didn't use some of the tools like Tspace and Tstorm and attributed it to age, that it was meant for a younger generation. I don't think communication knows age though. We have similar products in my office and some ("older") people use them a lot and people like myself ("younger") so I wonder if its less generational but more ease of use and what you get out of using them? Are they appropriate to what the organization is doing, other than for when he says, "From a public relations perspective I think they want to be able to say that we do this internally."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention Nik, that I can send you some articles. My 540 paper involves people, and organizations, leaving social media sites. It's interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete