Sunday, May 27, 2012

Week 2 Post: By: Jayson Paretts


In thinking about my response to this week’s readings, I wanted to share with everyone an interview that I conducted with the owner of my company that I work in here in Las Vegas.  The company specializes in public relations and the name of the owner is Bob Tyson.

I asked Mr. Tyson how he keeps his company competitive in a small market that is saturated with other public relations companies.  He told me “the entire trick behind it is to be open to change and innovations.  You must embrace new things, which means embracing new people in certain situations as well.”  I wanted to know more about the concept of change and Mr. Tyson said “he really loves to change the look and feel of his company as it is warranted depending on the needs of the consumers the company is servicing.”

I found this entire discussion regarding change to be very interesting and I thought it related well to the reading we were assigned for this week.  I look forward to sharing more thoughts from Mr. Tyson in future posts as we cover subjects that will allow me to do so.

6 comments:

  1. Jayson, it does seem that a key to this week's readings is to be open and comfortable with change. I would like to hear more about this interview and how the readings informed your questions. Besides being flexible, what else did Mr. Tyson say about organizational design?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jayson,
    Did you talk about how he warrants "chang[ing] the look and feel of his company." I find it interesting to see justifications for org. change and development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for all the comments. I am going to be talking with Mr. Tyson again in short order, so I will try to bring up some of these points when I meet with him the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar to Nik, I wonder what changes Mr. Tyson is willing to make to succeed beyond just the "look and feel" of the company. Though appearance is very important, what changes has he made under the surface while you've been working for him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of us have heard the maxim that "the only constant is change," so I would be interested in learning how Mr. Tyson has organized and reorganized his business. You mention that he would change the look and feel of the business, but would there also be a core structure and strategy in place so that customers knew what the company stood for? My interest is also piqued in terms of how often Mr. Tyson would make sweeping changes and how he would balance the need for change with a need to provide consistency in service delivery customers expect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to thank all of you for your comments. My boss, Mr. Tyson really believes that being open to change is the only way to go. Of course, this does not do a lot to guarantee job security as you are always on your toes regarding the status of your job. Mr. Tyson also likes to periodically change the look and feel of the company, by taking on projects that we usually would pass on and making changes within the office itself. It is an interesting and I think surprisingly so useful way of really embracing change as it was discussed in the readings.

    ReplyDelete