Sunday, May 27, 2012

Week 1 Post by: Jayson Paretts

I apologize for my post coming in late, but I have been very ill and there were some technology issues as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Week 1 Post:


For the readings pertaining to week one, I was reminded of a personal experience of mine that I would like to share.  The personal experience is about how I had to recently fight the bank for the right to keep my home here in Las Vegas, Nevada.  The precept that got me thinking about all of this was the idea of risk management and how companies come to apply that theory to their business standards and practices.  I was particularly struck by the ideas of Fayol especially regarding the concept that individuals who exclusively help themselves show very little regard for others, be it their employees or customers.  This is exactly what happened to me in my dealings with my bank, which was J.P. Morgan Chase.  They have a system that lives up to the worst standards of many of the concepts that were discussed for the reading in week one.  Luckily for me, everything worked out in the end, but it was a very negative experience and it certainly opened my eyes to the entire notion of maintaining certain standards if you are a business of any sort.

References

Wren, D. A., & Bedeian, A. G. (2009). The evolution of management thought (6th ed.). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.


No comments:

Post a Comment