As we began our readings this week, one of the first challenges facing
management that I encountered was “soldiering,” a term that Frederick
Taylor used to describe the act of workers laboring slower than they are
able to, but making supervisors believe that they are working quickly
(Taylor). Immediately, I thought of personal experiences at companies
I’ve worked for and how soldiering was part of everyday life at the
office.
In agency life, billable hours are king. Although ethical
billing is expected by most employers so is a constant level of
productivity (pre-determined by the company). Based on my time in client
service environments, systematic soldiering is common. Despite having a
workload far less than what is deemed “full,” per company regulations,
workers pad their billable hours with tasks that they never performed in
an effort to keep productivity up and in turn, prevent supervisors from
assigning additional work to them (Wren, Bedeian).
In my
experience, although a billing environment does tend to lead to
systematic soldiering, it is eliminates a significant amount natural
soldiering, which Taylor defines as “the natural instinct and tendency
of men to take it easy” (Taylor, p. 30). Knowing that they must meet
their daily productivity standard, most workers in shops I’ve worked in
tended to stay busy, maintaining a high level of productivity to secure a
positive performance review.
When it comes to completing tasks,
how slow is too slow? While most communication professionals know how
long it takes to write a news release, pitch media or perform other
daily duties, there is usually no standard for how long those tasks
should take to complete. In firms that I’ve worked in or observed,
issues are typically not noticed or addressed unless they are so
egregious that they cannot be overlooked.
Although selfishly, I
would not suggest it due to the human nature that Taylor described,
perhaps a time study and outline of acceptable, maximum times to perform
daily tasks would improve efficiency at my office (Wren, Bedeian). If
my daily productivity requirement is seven billable hours and I spend
four of them writing a news release on a client’s secretary who is
turning 92 years old, I am filling my quota and bringing in revenue, but
in a wasteful way that delays the onset of additional projects that
will bring in an equal amount of money and more in the future. I do
believe that a “piece-rate” incentive, as described by Taylor would
inspire frantic writing and outstanding client service, but I have a
hard time believing that something an incentive-based workday would ever
exist in our field (Taylor).
Part two:
Although I am not a manager, when looking at the big
picture from one’s perspective, I tend to agree with Taylor’s view that
systematic soldiering is most damaging. Although natural soldiering can
be minimized by implementing productivity standards and other measures,
identifying lazy workers and their lack of efficiency is a more involved
process and requires a solid base of scientific research, such as a
time study, to identify baseline facts prior to making a judgment on
their efficiency (Wren, Bedeian).
In my view, Henri Fayol’s
principles of management are extremely relevant and I believe that
implementing them would be helpful in my current environment to engage
staff and eliminate soldiering. By creating “one head and one plan for a
group of activities having the same direction,” the goal would shift
from meeting productivity requirements to ensuring client delight and
cultivating new opportunities with existing clients, hence improving
efficiency and less hang-up on “soldiered” tasks (Wren, Bedeian).
Throughout
my career, I’ve often thought of the financial side of businesses as an
impersonal machine, gobbling up money with no regard for the client,
but “Images of Organization” opened my eyes to the thought that I,
myself may be contributing to that very reality by making this
comparison. Perhaps by associating billing to part of our company’s
culture and livelihood, as an essential resource like water to an
ecosystem, my attitude and even efficiency would improve (Morgan). After
all, billing leads to revenue, which leads to salary, which leads to me
being able to pursue my master’s degree, which will lead to further
advancement and implementation of what I learned in graduate school.
Works Cited:
Morgan, G. (1998). Images of Organization. Thousand Oaks, CA: Saga Publishing.
Taylor, Frederick W. (1919). Shop Management. New York and London: Harper & Brothers Publishers.
Wren, Daniel A., Bedeian, Arthur G. (2009). The Evolution of Management Thought
(6th ed). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
By Nik
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of very interesting commission schedules out there that I think have great application in your field. One that I am particularly fond of and currently working to implement at Amano is a group based commissions pulling system. Succinctly, the way it works is each sale (or project) has a certain amount of commission attached, lets say 10%. The person closing the sale only gets a portion of that, say 70%. The other 30% goes to a pull that is split among the team. Transparency is essential so everyone knows who is contributing and who is anchoring the team. Of course it is very important to maintain a positive, constructive environment where everyone coaches and aids each other along, but if you can do this it creates very positive and successful sales forces.
By Brian
ReplyDeleteHow often would you propose the commissions are paid out? I definitely do think that when trying to meet or exceed a revenue goal, whether monthly or annually, incentivizing better productivity is extremely useful. In a prior job as a cell phone sales guy, even when I was systematically soldiering (due to daily retail rage and other reasons,) when a manufacturer or company contest came around that allowed me to earn more money, cool phones, etc., I was all over it.
We also used to have the occasional store bonus. Our monthly sales numbers would shoot through the roof and teamwork was more prevalent than ever regardless of whether we won the $30 pizza party or not.
By Nik
ReplyDeleteMost everything the I have seen points to monthly pay outs and benefits. Annually is to far out for us to make the cognitive action-reward association.
Great post, Brian. We will talk more about rewards and motivation later in the course. One of the other scholars this week, Henri Fayol, was one of the first to use self-selected teams. Do you think these types of teams could motivate workers in your organization to perform more efficiently? Could peer feedback and oversight reduce soldiering?
ReplyDeleteDr. Pade,
ReplyDeleteInteresting questions. I suppose that if teams made up of "superior" workers were willing to accept and mentor "inferior" workers, there would be a great opportunity to develop less efficient workers, leading to more efficiency. However, if self selection lead to teams made up of superior workers and separate teams made up of inferior workers, I don't know that anything would improve. I would be interested to see read study on this.